Shirley Temple In Captain January 1936

If you haven’t grabbed it yet, the new weekly schedule can be found by clicking to see Full Story & Pictures and then the following link; ShowSchedules

We begin this week on a sad note, as we mark the passing of Shirley Temple Black. She died on Monday the 10th at age 85, and on the channel we pay tribute to her with a two-hour special. It debuts on Sunday (16th) at 8am ET then plays again at 8pm ET and features the following: Lux Radio Theater’s version of her 1936 motion picture, “Captain January”; Screen Guild Theater’s production of 1940′s The Blue Bird and a then 16 year old Shirley’s visit to The Bob Hope Show.

Also this week we mark President’s Day/Washington’s Birthday with a creative two-hour block; a new to the channel episode of The CBS Radio Workshop “The Sounds Of The Nation”; Ronald Reagan playing Ulysses S. Grant on The Cavalcade Of America, A Washington’s Birthday episode of Fibber McGee & Molly and a Gracie For president episode of Burns & Allen.

Birthday tributes for Edgar Bergen (four Bergen & McCarthy episodes); Gale Gordon (Our Miss Brooks, Fibber McGee & Molly, The Whistler, Flash Gordon); Chester Morris (Boston Blackie); Staats Cotsworth (Casey Crime Photographer & CBS Radio Workshop); Robert Young (Father Knows Best, Suspense); Sheldon Leonard (The Saint, Jack Benny Program, Martin & Lewis); Merle Oberon (Suspense) and Adolphe Menjou (Lux Radio Theater’s “Morning Glory”.)

Additional new to the channel episodes from Lights Out, The Mysterious Traveler, Phil Harris & Alice Faye, Nick Carter, Jack Benny Program, Our Miss Brooks, The Weird Circle, Baby Snooks, Let George Do It and more.

Click On Photos For Larger Image

6 Responses to “Feb. 16th to Feb. 22nd, 2014 RadioClassics Schedules and Highlights”

1. Robin says:

I don’t comment often, but I still monitor comments. Sure would hate to lose a couple of “originals” like myself. I hope you can hang a little longer. I dislike Facebook on principle, so I enjoy what does appear here. Greg, your thoughts??

Technology is fickle, but absolutely necessary. Without the very sophisticated computer systems, RadioClassics (and all other channels for that matter) would not be possible. Sirius XM is simply too large to be run manually, those days are long gone. That being said, all technology indeed glitches and has issues from time to time. I am sorry it is frustrating. RadioClassics audio runs pretty clean the vast majority of the time. Nearly 12 years now. This does highlight the problem of having listeners that only tune in to a single channel, which while flattering on one level, simply blows my mind. With literally hundreds of other channels, to enjoy only one makes no sense to me personally. When I come across technical issues (or something I don’t enjoy) on a channel, I just go enjoy one of my other favorites and return later. G.

• Will says:

The reason I only listen to RadioClassics is because the other channels either have language I do not want to hear or I can find elsewhere like regular radio or TV. I know radio is not a manual process but isn’t someone there if something goes wrong?

2. Will says:

Sometimes my radio sort of stops and starts but only on Radioclassics, the other channels play fine. Does anyone else have that? It was doing it last night around midnight

• Cora says:

Yes. Will. I experienced that too. It was like a stuttering. I have already canceled one subscription. This is the only channel I enjoy anymore. Don’t know how much longer I will stay. There were other complaints today on the SiriusXM page about this same problem.

• Will says:

Thanks I thought it was just me. It isn’t the first time either. I don’t know how much longer I will stay either. I have found a place where I can download MP3s so I may just do that.