Robert Hall

If you haven’t grabbed it yet, the new weekly schedule can be found by clicking to see Full Story & Pictures and then the following link; ShowSchedules

The bookings are going well for the Radio Spirits Old-Time Radio Cruise planned for June 22nd-27th 2013, (NYC to Bermuda on Royal Caribbean’s Explorer Of The Seas) but plenty of cabins still available so if you are interested please contact us ASAP – visit the website at  www.cruisingwithgregbell.com/or call Larry at 800-269-2127  Lots of great activities planned, you can see that by clicking HERE

Here’s what is on tap for this week (Oct 14th to the 20th):

Birthday week tributes for the following folks; silent film legend Lillian Gish (Suspense-Marry For Murder); Robert Hall (The Green Hornet); horror film star Bela Lugosi (Suspense-The Doctor Prescribed Death); Barney Phillips (Dragnet, Escape); Jan Miner (The Chase, Casey Crime Photographer, Boston Blackie); Berry Kroeger (The Haunting Hour, Inner Sanctum Mysteries); Marsha Hunt who is 95! (Suspense-Self Defense); Martin Blaine (American Portraits) and Benita Hume Colman (The Hall of Ivy, Jack Benny Program)

8 Responses to “Oct. 14th to Oct. 20th 2012 RadioClassics Show Schedules”

1. rwwing says:

thanks for the pictures. Heard Barney Phillips name a lot and never realized how often I saw him in character roles on TV–which is probably true of many radio actors–their names aren’t familiar to TV audiences but you have seen them many times.

2. sevenshooter says:

I really LOVE most of the mysteries, but only a few of the comedies. The mysteries are timeless, they tell a story of human interest, it took more talent to do the mysteries and to hold the listener’s interest.

I find the comedies are pretty dated, either a comedian was funny or he/she wasn’t. I never miss the Abbott/Costello, Miss Brooks, Bob Hope, or the “comedy/mystery” Novak for Hire.

As a small child in the late 40′s, early 50′s, I remember The Shadow very well. Guess one can’t please everyone, can one.

I gotta chime in on this one. Nothing makes me snicker more than a listener telling me that a comedy is DATED! That is absolutely impossible! Why? Because this channel is about the Golden Age of Radio (roughly the 1930s to the early 60s) so the comedies featured on it are TIMELY. As a matter of fact they are EXACTLY what comedy was all about then. So how can they be DATED???? Satellite radio offers tons of “modern” comedy channels if folks want today’s humor. RadioClassics is about the humor of the era it represents. Not meaning to single you out “sevenshooter” others had made the same statement, yours is just the latest. Greg

3. quotetaker says:

Back in southern Iowa where I grew up, we didn’t get TV until 1953. During the war (WWII), I lay awake listening to the various programs such as Fibber, Bob Hope, etc., that my Mom had on until my Dad got home around midnight from a defense plant making ammunition.
    Radio actually was better than TV because the listener actually had to “engage” his or her brain to “picture” the action. In a way, a lot more enjoyable.

4. quotetaker says:

I enjoy listening to the programming, but I’d like less mystery and more of the comedy programming such as Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Phil Harris, Burns & Allen, etc.
    Thanks for preserving this important part of our history.

Tom, Oceanside, CA

5. Northguy says:

I love Radio Classics, and you’re a great host Greg. I don’t think you ever have to apologize for the comedies slots that you add to the programing, ( okay, Duffy’s Tavern is petty lame), but how fun to sit back and enjoy all those great radio shows. The little girl on Fibber McGee, is such a hoot, I think she steals the show. I thank you for your interest and dedication to this programing, as I don’t even own a television.