Mickey Rooney

If you haven’t grabbed it yet, the new weekly schedule can be found by clicking to see Full Story & Pictures and then the following link; ShowSchedules

There are still cabins available for the Radio Spirits Old-Time Radio Cruise planned for June 22nd-27th 2013, but we need folks to contact us and put down a refundable deposit if you plan on joining us.  (It departs from NYC for a 5 day cruise to Bermuda and back on Royal Caribbean’s “Explorer Of The Seas”) you can do so by visiting the website www.cruisingwithgregbell.com/ or call Larry at 800-269-2127  Lots of great activities planned, you can see that by clicking HERE

Speaking of the New York City area; the New York Old Time Radio Convention is being held this year Oct. 13th and 14th. It will featured numerous radio show re-creations, celebrity guests, dinner banquet and much more. You can learn more about it here

We have a number of great birthday tributes this week led by Mickey Rooney’s 92nd (and he is still working!) We also celebrate William Conrad (Gunsmoke, Suspense, Escape, The Whistler, Philip Marlowe) with two different 2-hour specials. We have a combined birthday special with an hour of new to the channel Mr. & Mrs. North episodes to mark the birthday of the creator of the characters, Richard Lockeridge plus the lead actress Barbara Britton. Other folks being celebrated include Doris Singleton (The Whistler, Alan Young Show), Arnold Stang (The Alan Young Show), Ted De Corsia (Pursuit, Columbia Workshop), George Raft (Lux Radio Theater’s “Air Force” and author F. Scott Fitzgerald (Escape).

8 Responses to “Sept. 23rd to Sept. 29th, 2012 RadioClassics Shows Schedules”

1. Cora says:

Really enjoying the William Conrad blocks. Loving just everything he has done on radio.

• sevenshooter says:

Was at IMDB looking up a movie and looking at William Conrad, it said he was estimated to have been in over 7,000 various radio shows.

One “Escape” I think, said he did every one of the several voices.

Truly a guy who is to be admired. Had a terrific face for radio.

2. britt says:

Hi Greg,

I see that this coming Sunday (9/30/12) marks the 50th anniversary of the end of the Golden Age of Radio. Any chance of rebroadcasting the shows that played that night? It would be bittersweet to hear the episodes of Johnny Dollar and Suspense that marked its end.

Yes, on Friday, I just got the two episodes that aired supplied to me so yes we are marking the 50th anniversary of the end of The Golden Age – which one listener dubbed “Black Sunday” Interesting that the anniversary also falls on a Sunday. Greg

• Will says:

I just missed the Golden Age of Radio by a few months. I was born 8 months after it ended.

Hello All,

I really enjoyed the Jimmy Stewart On the Air author(s) interview. I would love to her a Six Shooter episode in Japanese.

The interviews I like the most are the behind the scenes production type.

Keep them coming while some of the great talents of OTR are still around….

fat finger typing again…..’hear’ not ‘her’

They can teach me Quantum Physics but they can’t make me take typing…

4. so1om says:

Mickey Rooney.. what a cool guy and great talent. Back in the 1970s, my father had to talk to him about something. At the time, Rooney was in town, Chicago, performing in Sugar Babies.

Whatever it was, I was about 11. It was around dinner time and I was taking out our two dogs, they were barking, the phone rings. “DAD, PHONE!! I don’t know who it is.. some old guy.”

Later my dad said “you know who that was? Mickey Rooney…” Even then he was one of my faves from Boys Town, Huck Finn,, well you know. the list goes on and on…… Mr. Rooney chuckled about the whole thing, right in touch with people and their lives.