Jimmy Stewart & Jack Johnstone (Director of The Six Shooter)

If you haven’t grabbed it yet, the new weekly schedule can be found by clicking to see Full Story & Pictures and then the following link; ShowSchedules

Time to hold your cabins if you are coming with me on the Radio Spirits Old-Time Radio Cruise planned for June 22nd-27th 2013 (from NYC to Bermuda on Royal Caribbean) you can do so by visiting the website www.cruisingwithgregbell.com/ Lots of great activities planned, you can see that by clicking HERE

On to the shows this week -

To mark the anniversary of the radio debut of The Six Shooter (September 20th, 1953) I have a two-hour special featuring three episodes of that western series plus my interview with Charles & Erna Reinhart, the authors of the book Jimmy Stewart: On The Air which details all of the Oscar winning actor’s radio work.

We also have birthday week tributes for Lauren Bacall (Bold Venture, Lux Radio Theater’s “To Have and Have Not”); H.G. Wells (The Author’s Playhouse’s “The Inexperienced Ghost”, Escape’s “Jimmy Goggles The God”); Larry Dobkin (two different specials with him in episodes of Ellery Queen, Nero Wolfe, The Whistler, Gunsmoke, Escape and The Saint); musician Korla Pandit (Chandu, The Magician); Eddie “Rochester” Anderson (The Jack Benny Program); and June Foray (The Stan Freberg Show)

Speaking of June Foray (she is 95!) she is part of a wonderful documentary film in post-production right now and set for release next year. Known as “I Know That Voice”, it’s all a collection interviews with top voice actors. Here is a link to an advanced trailer including Foray http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xivQ6_gu3W8

13 Responses to “Sept. 16th to Sept. 22nd 2012 RadioClassics Show Schedules”

Another good series is The Chase which is on the schedule for next week. I never heard people comment about the show but it has some very interesting stories. Cora, sorry you missed the Whistler. I was just lucky to catch it myself. It seems that I always miss the Kildare movies on TMC.

I would not be in favor of having interviews on the channel. It would take away from the fine programming line-up each week. Besides, it would be very time consuming if not impossible for Greg to come up with that content.

• sevenshooter says:

I think it was “The Chase”, or perhaps “Escape”, I get them confused, where a woman’s husband was going to be executed at midnight. She came up with some additional info that would prove his innocence (was it a letter?) so she had to call all over the country trying to locate the judge.

She would call an operator, the operator would say stupid things, the woman would go to pleading … she was very, very good. She had me saying out loud, “LISTEN to her, you dummies”.

2. so1om says:

About a Sirius/XM Commercial… MusicRewind is currently airing a commercial and at the end is a part of a song.. Twangy guitar with lush orchestra behind it. I do not think it’s Duane Eddy… I went through the track listing on some of there offereings. It sounds more like Al Caiola or other studio hand like Bob Bain.

Has anyone picked up on this song?

Thanks!

3. so1om says:

I think one of the attractions to The Six Shooter is the “down home” stylings much like were later used in The Andy Griffith Show. That says it simply enough, we all know how well both shows were written and performed.

4. MargoLane says:

Someone likes the sound of his own voice…why is Creeps By Night only on twice but “Greg’s Interview” is on four times? These interviews are better placed on the website where people who want to hear them can go there, voluntarily, to listen. Let’s leave the air time to the actual radio shows.

Creeps by Night is schedule 4 TIMES not twice. The sound of my own voice? Are you kidding me? The interviews are about the guests, not me. I am on the channel every 30 minutes, so that is a silly comment.

• Will says:

I would like to see a 30 min weekly interview program. You could have stars, children of stars or people that worked behind the scene and if you posted the info here or on facebook we could submit questions before the taping.

• Cora says:

Great idea.

Good lineup for this week. I see there is still my favorite Dr. Kildare. Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors. He has played some very convincing roles. One day I plan to visit his museum.
    I happened to catch an episode of the Whistler on TCM this morning. I wish I would have known in advance to give you all a heads up.