Alan Young with Dorothy Lamour & William Powell

The highlight this week is Alan Young’s birthday (records indicate he was born in England on November 19th, 1919 and raised in Western Canada). I was so fortunate to visit with him a while back and the two-hour special includes the following – a couple of new to the channel this week episodes of his 1940s comedy variety series was well as my extensive interview with Alan. He has some wonderful stories to tell -  from his days doing radio as a teenager, to his date with Marilyn Monroe!  And, of course, his work as Wilbur Post the owner of the talking horse Mr. Ed on the popular 1960s TV sitcom.

Also on tap: birthday week tributes for Dick Powell (Richard Diamond, Rogue’s Gallery); Veronica Lake; Jim Jordan (Fibber McGee & Molly, Suspense-Backseat Driver); Daws Butler (The Stan Freberg Show, voice of Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Snagglepuss), etc

I also am bringing back a top request from The Chase. Known as “Long Distance”, it stars Jan Miner as a woman frantically using the telephone to try and save her husband from execution.

Other new to the channel episodes from Gunsmoke, Fort Laramie, The Whistler, The Falcon, Suspense, The Mysterious Traveler, The Shadow, Nick Carter and more.

6 Responses to “Nov. 13th to Nov. 19th, 2011 RadioClassics Show Schedule”

1. sevenshooter says:

That episode of “The Chase” titled “Long Distance” was one of the best radio shows I have heard. I listened to it twice today.

The lady was terrific, you could feel her frustration in her voice. It was cute when the operators kept repeating what she said, then her questioning them, I was thinking the exact same thing. Why were they doing that and wasting time?

Just another great Radio Classic.

2. mm3125 says:

I really enjoyed the My Favorite Husband episode about the orange and black striped dresses–made me LOL!! I also enjoyed the Alan Young interviews.

3. mks281 says:

Hi Greg, I love your channel and always listen when commuting…a two hour drive that your show makes a real pleasure! My favorites are the dramas and westerns but I did listen to the last part of the Allen Young interview and just laughed my head off when he told the story of being in costume and Howard Hughes dropping him off somewhere and he had to walk back to his theater! I’m looking forward to purchasing his books, they sound like great reads! Thanks again Greg, your show is just such a fantastic window into the past~

4. sorahl says:

Greg,
    boy I loved the talks with Alan, I have to try to hear all of it.. There is actually one thing I would love to have asked him. For years I have read that Mr. Ed… was NOT a horse but a Zebra painted to look like a horse. Something about the horse not behaving or performing as was needed and for some reason the zebra would.. If anyone could answer this definitively it would be Alan…

5. lh says:

Boy do you know your radio classic stuff. I just listened to you and Alan Young and it WAS a wonderful interview — he certainly doesn’t sound 92! Between the two of you, I learned a lot of fun and interesting facts. I grew up watching Mr Ed, too. One of my favorite shows. And at that time, I had no idea Mr Young was a radio star…

It’s been awhile since I’ve made any comments but I am a fervent listener to you and your channel, You’ve added so much more dimension to the characters in the shows. Your appreciation and devotion truly shows in your scheduling of the shows, the actors, and all the people involved gets better and better – thank you!

6. SharonDee says:

Hey, Greg, any chance of a birthday tribute to Eleanor Audley? Born on November 19th in 1905, listeners might remember her as the evil stepmother in Disney’s “Cinderella” or the evil (natch) Maleficent from “Sleeping Beauty”.

I know I’ve her heard her voice in many of the radio programs aired on RadioClassics so there’s got to be something in your files.

Thanks for your consideration.