Have you had a chance to listen to my interview with Robb Weller about his Uncle Art Gilmore? My visit with the long time television host and producer is available to listen to for free on my website http://gregbellmedia.com/index.html  I would love to know if folks are enjoying it, and if they would like me to post more of them.

Headline this week is the 96th birthday of actor Harry Morgan (Bill Gannon on 1960s TV’s Dragnet; Colonel Sherman Potter on M*A*S*H). On RadioClassics he is the voice of Mystery the narrator of Mystery In The Air. Other birthday tributes this week – Marian Jordan (Molly on Fibber McGee & Molly); Paul McGrath (Host of the Inner Sanctum Mysteries); Sylvia Picker (Suzy on Box 13); John Hodiak (Screen Guild Players-Pardon My Past); Joan Alexander (Lois Lane on Superman); Hans Conried (many roles including Professor Kropotkin on My Friend Irma) and Les Tremayne (The Falcon, The Thin Man).

9 Responses to “April 10th to April 16th 2011 RadioClassics Show Schedule”

1. Matt Pelc says:

I might be in the minority but I have always enjoyed the Sherman Potter-led years of MASH better than the Henry Blake years.

I don’t think the comedy held up well from that time–I guess its for the same reason I don’t like comedies on OTR. :)

• sevenshooter says:

I have to respectfully disagree. They had comedy with the whole cast at first.

When Trapper John and Col. Blake left they kept most of the comedy centered around Major Burns. Then when he left, they geared the show more to human interest themes, the only comedy was Klinger, until he gave up the dresses. By then the byplay between Pierce and BJ was old.

I have to agree with Sevenshooter here. I enjoyed the whole run but when I want to kick back with a MASH I usually pull out a DVD from one of the first 3 seasons.

Season 9, 10 and 11 grew a little ‘old’ as several story lines from the early 70s were tweaked and reused but it is still my favorite show of all time

Funny thought…when you do training for engineers in foreign countries they like you to bring American movies (light drama, romantic comedies) so they can learn American ‘styles’

I was thinking of bringing a collection of Pat Novack and Jeff Regan….or would that be mean?

3. tallman1126 says:

Did you mean Bill Gannon?

Yup, mixed up my Joe Friday partners!

Could been worse, might of written Bill Smith :-)

Thanks

Has been fixed.

Looks like a fun week. Great pictures too!!!!

I think we should have Admin Asst day….Suzy on Box 13 and the rest of the ladies that kept the detectives going.

• TLowry says:

What a good idea! We should include “Effie Perrine” Sam Spade’s “Boswell” and mistress of the malapropism.