A new feature on my website (as frequently requested by listener emails) is a free version of my interview with Robb Weller, TV producer and nephew of longtime radio and television announcer Art Gilmore, which I conducted in October of 2010, as heard on Sirius XM Radio Classics. To listen to it head to the main webpage  http://gregbellmedia.com/

Some of the birthday week specials this week include Gregory Peck in Suspense; Bette Davis in radio versions of the films – A “Woman’s Face” & “The Little Foxes”; Bea Benaderet in Arch Oboler’s Plays; John Brown in The Damon Runyon Theater, The Life of Riley and My Friend Irma; Walter Huston in Lux Radio Theater’s version of “The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre”; Frances Langford in The Bickersons; and Spencer Tracy in Lux Radio Theater’s version of “Arrowsmith.”

We also are marking the first full week of Major League baseball by bringing back Lux Radio Theater’s version of “Pride Of The Yankees”; Destination Freedom’s “The Ballad Of Satchel Paige”; Leo Durocher on The Jack Benny Program, Abbott & Costello’s “Who’s On First” and Hall of Fame hitters Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson on The Bob Hope Show.

9 Responses to “April 3rd to April 9th 2011 RadioClassics Show Schedule”

1. sevenshooter says:

Wow!!! That Dragnet episode, “The Big Kid” I think it was. About the shooting of the 11 year old boy..

That woman who played the mother, when she kept saying to the shooter, “What gives you the RIGHT, what gives you the RIGHT, ….”, I just about came to tears. It was a terrific scene. She should have gotten an Academy Award just for that scene.

Naturally Friday came out with another brilliant retort. “We’re going to take it away from him”.

I thought that I recognized the picture of Bea Benaderet. She had a role on Petticoat Junction.

3. Matthew says:

The YTJD episode was very good, reminded me of a marathon that was aired a couple of months ago, which involved a good friend of Johnny Dollar, who fell in love also — different ending though (won’t spoil it for other by saying what happened).

Also, put me down as a Fibber McGee & Molly fan. I didn’t like it at first, but the show has slowly grown of me, and now I actively look for it on the schedule. “The Shadow” was like that for me also.

One final comment: Am I the only one who finds Mary Livingstone’s laugh very sexy — she has a wonderful voice IMHO.

• sevenshooter says:

Never miss a YTJD marathon. Like I have posted before, when he describes a “beautiful” woman, you can see her standing there.

Yes, Mary Livingstone’s laugh is sexy. It’s kind of a deep, throaty laugh. I can’t recall what she looked like. I want to say a honey blonde.

Greg. Some help?

Note to Greg: Thanks for the baseball oriented shows this week as the 2011 season gets started. So much baseball, so little time.

5. evnearl says:

Johnny Dollar has become one of our favorites. We always scan the schedule for that series first. Fibber McGee & Molly are our favorite comedy. Hardly ever miss a Dragnet. Bob Hope always puts a good variety show together. Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolf have a knack for solving a crime. Your channel has become our default station…spend more time with it than any other. We’re rediscovering great talents like Frances Langford. They really don’t make shows like these anymore.

6. leeherman says:

Greg,

Just wanted to let you know that this week’s episode of The Lansing Fraud matter was terrific. I have grown to love this series and appreciate hearing new shows.

I miss “I Was A Communist for the FBI” and hope there are more soon!. Also, I appreciated hearing so many Dragnet episodes last week as well as other Jack Webb shows.

Keep up the good work.

Lee Herman, Philadelphia, PA

• MISSGBMOO says:

Hi, Lee! Radio Spirits is offering a set of episodes from “I Was a Communist for the FBI.” Just go to http://www.radiospirits.com and you’ll see it. I believe it’s gone down in price from $39 to $27 though I’m not 100 percent sure.
      I also love “Dragnet” and “Jeff Regan.” Jack Webb was always a favorite of mine. But my 2 favorite shows remain “Suspense” and “The Whistler” along with “X Minus One (especially “Zero Hour”) and “Lux Radio Theater.” And in August, make sure to listen to what is perhaps the best radio show ever — “Earth Abides.”
      Happy Listening and Happy Trails To You. – Rosemary Lloyd, Elberon, NJ

7. sevenshooter says:

Seeing the picture of Francis Langford again brings me back to that night nearly a year ago.

Woke up in the middle of the night, flipped on the Sirius Radio, Bob Hope Show was on, and heard that enchanting rendition of her singing “Sleepy Lagoon”. It has to be the very best version I ever heard.

They just don’t make shows like them anymore.