We begin another week on a sad note. It was just a month ago that I played the limited episodes I have in the library starring Elizabeth Taylor, and following her passing we much too quickly bring them back. She will be heard at age 14 in Lux Radio Theatre’s “National Velvet”, at age 18 in The Cavalcade Of America’s “I, Mary Peabody” and at age 13 in Command Performance alongside Frank Sinatra, Margaret O’Brien and Roddy McDowall.

Also this week a new to the channel Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar Marathon; “The Lansing Fraud Matter” from December of 1955. We also have birthday week tributes to Jack Webb; writer Lucille Fletcher (Sorry Wrong Number, The Hitchhiker); Fran Carlon (Lorelei on Big Town); Maurice Tarplin (The Mysterious Traveler); Earle Ross (Judge Hooker on The Great Gildersleeve); Frank Lovejoy (Nightbeat); Richard Denning (Mr. & Mrs. North, My Favorite Husband); Les Damon (The Falcon); writer Joel Murcott (Frank Race, Tales of The Texas Rangers) and more.

14 Responses to “March 27th to April 2nd RadioClassics Show Schedule”

1. Jester says:

I would agree with you sevenshooter I never miss an episode of Johnny dollar and have bought 2 collections from radio spirits that I am eagerly waiting to listen too!

2. MargoLane says:

Great schedule this week, Greg. The only thing that detracts from the programming are those loud, lousy commercials. Is there any way to tone down the volume on them so they don’t rattle you out of bed? I know they pay the bills, but seriously now.

3. sevenshooter says:

Note to Greg: Re: The Hitchhiker..

This was done also on the original “Twilight Zone” TV series. Inger Stevens was the driver as I recall. I have the DVD’s, watched it a year or so back.

This radio version was equally as scary.

As I write this, the Fibber McGee & Molly movie ‘Here We Go Again” is on TCM, complete with Gildy, Mrs Uppington, Edgar Bergan, Charlie McCarthy, Mortimer Snerd, and Gale Gordon (not as Mayor LaTrivia) as Molly’s old flame. They even gave band leader Ray Noble a part as the hotel desk clerk.

This is not the highest quality comedy, but it is interesting to watch on a cloudy and cold afternoon.

5. Elisabell says:

I LOVE Classic Radio and listen at home as well as in the car on the way to and from work and while running errands. Because I have opportunities throughout the day I sometimes catch programs several times a week.

SUGGESTION: Would it be possible to announce at the opening of each program a tag line such as “This episode of Fibber McGee and Mollie is from December 1950. If you can’t listen right now, you can catch the repeats on Wednesday at 8 a.m., Friday at 3 p.m. or Saturday at 10 p.m.”

This would certainly help the regular listeners plan their days! I print out the schedule each week but sometimes, I don’t have them on me and it would be great to have a verbal reminder.

Also, I have appreciated the sound bites of programs as filler during commercial breaks

There were episodes of Inner Sanctum last week. Greg does not have them on weekly. Maybe be due to what is available.

Sad news about Farley Granger.

• TLowry says:

Thanks,

I was so spurred on by the scary opening comments that I didn’t think to check the schedules.

7. TLowry says:

Greg et al,

I remember that “Inner Sanctum” had the scariest opening. Sitting in the dark den (the radio room) with the family listening to the moaning organ and door creaking of the show’s opening, I could barely listen to the narrator due to fear. As I think back now, I don’t seem to remember any other part of the show. Greg, could you see if the “inner Sanctum” can make your play list.

Tim

Actually, I think the schedule is very well balanced to include suspense, drama, westerns, comedy etc… My favorites is suspense and drama including Dr Kildare.

Just my opinion.

I seem to remember hearing that the Whistler was West Coast radio and Suspense had wide distribution (for lack of a better word). The ratings were also regional or should I say that the Whistler #1 was a regional claim.

I request Master Bell to enlighten us….

10. lynsie says:

Hi Greg, I heard you say the other day that a lot of people don’t like the comedies, my husband and I love them! We would like to have more of them :) We also like the science fiction.

I believe that there was a rivalry between Suspense and The Whistler to be #1 which they claimed to possess. This competition probably caused the production of episodes to be thrilling, chilling, and suspenseful.

12. Matt Pelc says:

I agree on Suspense. Sometimes it can be GREAT and other times a bit ho-hum. I love the scary episodes or something that departs from the “Murder of the Week” and how the murderer tries to lie and kill his (or her) way out of being found out and being sentenced to the death penalty.

Some of my favs with Suspense depart from that usual format.

13. sevenshooter says:

Once again I am truly amazed. Almost never miss a “Johnny Dollar Marathon, Dragnet, or Pat Novak for Hire”, even 2nd or 3rd time in a week.

When Bob Bailey is describing a woman as having “long, beautiful hair, pale-blue eyes, ruby red lips”, one can see her standing there. But then you remember he’s describing Virginia Gregg, not a beauty, so you try to snap back to reality but you can’t. They were THAT good with the writing and the acting. Even remembering that photo of Jack Webb standing in front of the microphone, you still can’t stop believing and seeing the story.

Actually “Suspense” is great too. When they have a scary episode, it’s moving. Also “Whistler, Dimension X”. “Have Gun”, John Dehner was superb. Have never heard a bad “Gunsmoke”, every one was unique. With every one you can see that jail, the Long Branch (thanks to the TV show), and the town. Jimmy Stewart describing his action of drawing and firing …. can see it all. Dick Powell in a mystery, priceless.

Abbott and Costello, Martin and Lewis, Phil Harris and Alice Faye, still funny today. Hearing Bob Hope, it’s easy to see why he was such a beloved performer.

Wonder what they would think if they knew that after 50, 60, even 70 years later, they are still admired, bringing joy to so many of us. It was a job to them, but classics to us.