Hey folks, this week we have birthday tributes for Joan Crawford, Jack Kruschen, writer Philip Rapp (The Bickersons), Paula Winslowe (Peg on The Life Of Riley), Ed Begley Sr., Kermit Murdock, Ozzie Nelson, Sir Michael Redgrave and more.

One new to the channel this week highlight is An American Gallery’s “Porgy, Bess & George” featuring Ross Martin as composer George Gershwin. Martin, best known for the role of Artemis Gordon on “The Wild, Wild, West” TV series, was born in Poland on March 22nd, 1920.

We also mark the return of Command Performance’s “Dick Tracy In B-Flat” with Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dinah Shore, Judy Garland, Jimmy Durante, Frank Sinatra and on and on.

We also have new offerings from Suspense, The Story of Dr. Kildare, Baby Snooks, The Line-Up, Jack Benny, Lum & Abner, Norman Corwin’s Columbia Workshop (“Mary & The Fairy” with Elsa Lanchester & Ruth Gordon) and many more.

And an update: we continue to move toward offering some of my channel interviews on the website. Stay tuned for that.

11 Responses to “March 20th to March 26th, 2011 RadioClassics Show Schedule”

There are many big lights left in Hollywood. We just are not aware of them since most have disappeared from the limelight due to age or health. But, they seem to be disappearing all at once since they are from that great era. Liz was definitely aware of her beauty. Look how many times she married.

After the good ones leave us, we will have such entertainers remaining such as Lady Gaga, Niki Manaj, and Charlie Sheen etc… What an image that projects !!!!

2. MargoLane says:

I know they were meant to be but those 15-minute sports reels are a total waste of time and show the utter nonsensical thinking and ignorance of that decade. They’re not even funny. Couldn’t we hear something else in their place, please? I know there are other fillers for a 15-minute spot.

• Don says:

Bill Stern’s nonsense was way ahead of the time…just look at all the entertainment nonsense that is on tv and the net today 24/7 ! He should have gotten awards for fiction writing. Another reason for me to switch over to XM175 and listen to baseball talk for a while.

Opening day is March 31!

3. GregBell says:

RIP – I am sadden to report that Elizabeth Taylor has passed away at age 79

I will be bringing back some of the radio episodes I have featuring her, most likely beginning this Sunday (3/27)

• MargoLane says:

Definately the last big light to go out in Hollywood; the end of an era. What a sad, sad thing.

• MISSGBMOO says:

It’s funny, Greg, but you’re one of the first people I thought of when I heard Elizabeth Taylor died. I remember hearing “National Velvet” and “I, Mary Peabody” when you aired them a few weeks ago and I was so glad to hear them again. Ironically, Miss Taylor died the same day as Joan Crawford’s birthday. Thank you, by the way, for playing Joan Crawford programs. She has always been one of my favorite actresses, along with Bette Davis, the aforementioned Elizabeth Taylor and a British actress named Celia Johnson.
      It’s very strange to think of a world without Elizabeth Taylor in it…RIP, Elizabeth. Thank you for your wonderful movies and even for your spicy life.

Did everyone order their Space Command Goggles last week during Tom Corbett Space Cadet?

I wonder how many they actual sold during that promotion……

A woman in my office remembers rushing her chores to get in front of Captain Video and being scared sleepless with Suspense….

I’m not sure if it was a movie or a TV show but when I saw the Elsa Lanchester picture I thought of Allysa Milano….

• Don says:

In the very early 1950s I watched Capt Video on TV and sometimes at night saw the beginning of The Whistler…that shadow in the alley was spooky for a little kid, but I still watched it again and again. Wonder what I was doing up so late?