Ringing in a new year, marking a few birthdays and paying tribute.

We have new to the channel New Year’s Eve themed episodes from Phil Harris & Alice Faye, The Great Gildersleeve, Fibber McGee & Molly, The Alan Young Show, Bill Stern’s Sports Newsreel and more.

Also we’ll have birthday week tributes for Humphrey Bogart, Richard Widmark, Marlene Dietrich, Richard Kollmar (Boston Blackie), Martin Milner (Bill Lockwood on Dragnet), Dana Andrews and more.

Last but certainly not least, we’ll have a tribute special to mark the passing of writer/director Blake Edwards. He passed away at age 88 on December 15th, but since last week was all Christmas themed shows, we’ll honor him during this week with two episodes of Richard Diamond, Private Detective featuring his scripts as well as one from The Lineup that he both wrote and directed.

Happy New Year

19 Responses to “Dec. 26th to Jan. 1st Radio Classics Schedules”

Greg, how much snow did you get in Baltimore?

I was west of DC in Leesburg for the storm and we got nada….

2. JimInSanDiego says:

RIP to Fred Foy. Many of us also remember him as Dick Cavett’s
    superb announcer/side kick on the 1970s late night TV series. A
    real gentleman and class act.

Many sateliite radio channels went “bye bye” at the merger. This
    one survived, in significant part because it has SPONSORS who
    pay to be heard. But compare the ads on conventional radio to
    those heard here….about 75% fewer on our channel.

So I LOVE the ads, because they help assure the channel’s
    continued existence.

• TLones1480 says:

I wouldnt say I love the ads, but they are a lot fewer than on other channels, and the half-hour shows arent broken up like they used to be, plus Greg mixes in vintage ads, which is a nice touch..They are necessary at this point to keep the channel on the air..

I realize, too that people have their own tastes, but the comedies, like them or not (and I like many of them) were a large part of Old Time Radio and they need to be represented fairly on here (as they are)..I have, however, really come to appreciate some of the other shows as well such as The Shadow, Boston Blackie, Dragnet, Johnny Dollar, Richard Diamond, Gunsmoke, Six Shooter (Love Jimmy Stewart in this), Nightbeat and some others..

• Will says:

I am glad you are enjoying them. I play them at work because they are available online but I may buy them too.

• JimInSanDiego says:

TLones1480:

I did a post here last year, reviewing the “Top 10″ rated radio
        shows of the late 1940s, that is, those with the largest audience
        at that time and place.

Comedies DOMINATED, usually 7 or 8 of the Top 10 shows
        were Humor. Given that generation lived through World War
        II and the Depression, who could blame them for wanting
        some laughter?

It’s true some of them are pretty dated, but the best talents
        [Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Bob Hope, and Red Skelton) still
        stand up very well today.

• TLones1480 says:

Jim in SanDiego:

Here’s an Interesting webpage analyzing US Radio Ratings from 1930-56..It bears out that the 1940′s were they heyday of radio comedy.

In fact, Fibber McGee and Molly was among the top 5 shows from 1940-41 through 1948-49 (No. 1 in 43-44, 45-46 and 46-47 No, 2 in 44-45)..Dropping to number 12 in 1949-50 8 in 50-51 13 in 51-52 14 in 1952-53..By the early 1950′s the rating numbers went down all over radio because of television..

3. laci2ke says:

Dear rmembrila from a couple of weeks ago –

Sorry to hear you’re calling it quits…this channel is still a very good source of old time radio, the many inane comedy fillers notwithstanding. But, I guess playing only Johnny Dollar, The Whistler and Suspense, Gunsmoke and Texas Rangers (all my favorites, of course) would not fil a three day playlist — though it’d be great if Greg did do a special ‘request week’ once in a while as someone has already suggested.

But, what I really wanted to share with you (and others if they care) is that I’ve just listened to the first cut of my first disc of the CBS Mystery Theater collection, five discs of which arrived the day after I bought the 1399 episodes at its website for thirty bucks (sic!), and it was excellent. This episode was from 1974 and starred Agnes Moorehead, was produced by Hyman Brown and hosted/narrated by E.G. Marshal. Sound familiar…?!

Anyway, these 40-minute or so programs will just be perfect ‘mute buttons’ for the increasing number of 1-800 commercials that never seem to end, and for the Abbot &Bore-ello, Vic and Bad, Bad & Skeleton, etc. unlistenables that Greg must air from time to time.

Give it a look, rmembrila, and I think you’ll find it a nice variation to your listening/driving day. And special thanks again for Will’s bringing this true treasure collection to my attention, and to Greg for providing the forum for him to do so.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2011 to all…!

4. Matt Pelc says:

We lost another one :( The legendary announcer of the Lone Ranger, Fred Foy. He was 89.

Ditto on the Season’s Greetings to all Bell-bloggers. I hope everyone enjoys the holidays this year and I hope that 2011 will be an improvement over 2010.

Next week is going to be a good one with the tribute and birthdays. I am sure everyone will stay tuned. Love that Richard Diamond.

Greg –
    Did Blake Edwards write Rogues Gallery or just the Richard Diamond episodes?

According to my meager information a man named Ray Buffum wrote Rogue’s Gallery….

I hope I am finally right on something….

Michael,

Sounds right to me. Blake Edwards did write some episodes of The Lineup as well as Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar (during the John Lund as Dollar era) I also have an episode of Suspense he wrote, The Case For Dr. Singer.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Greg, there was a post last week about playing the debut episodes of the most popular shows in the same week. That sounds like a dream week!!!

Thanks again Greg. Enjoy the Christmas holiday with the Bell clan.