As is our annual tradition, this week is full of wall-to-wall Christmas themed radio shows from all the top series of the Golden Age including Jack Benny, Burns & Allen, Bob Hope, The Shadow, Gunsmoke, Dragnet, Fibber McGee & Molly and many more. Begins at Midnight ET Sunday 12/19 (11pm CT, 10pm MT, 9pm PT Saturday Night ) and continues with nothing but holiday programs until Saturday (Christmas) evening the 25th

Longtime channel fans will want to check out a significant number of “new to the channel this year” episodes including the debuts of Doctor Sixgun and Exploring The Unknown; also featured Let George Do It (with Bob Bailey); Nightbeat, Burns & Allen; The Great Gildersleeve; The Life Of Riley; Lum & Abner; The Alan Young Show; The Whistler (The Three Wise Guys with John Brown and Jack Moyles); Romance of the Ranchos and more.

We also have the return of popular requests; Grand Central Station’s “A Miracle For Christmas”; The Family Theater’s ” The Littlest Angel”; The Campbell Playhouse’s “A Christmas Carol” with Orson Welles and Lux Radio Theatre’s “It’s A Wonderful Life” with Jimmy Stewart & Donna Reed.

18 Responses to “Dec. 19th To Dec. 25th. (Christmas Week) Radio Classics Shows”

1. Matthew says:

Fibber McGee & Molly was kind of sad, a once great radio show, reduced to being recorded in a sound studio, with terrible writing. Couldn’t help but think of its glory days…

2. Matt Pelc says:

We lost another one :( The legendary announcer of the Lone Ranger, Fred Foy. He was 89.

Well, I’m still limited to listening to “my” radio station in my dad’s office; I’m hoping there will be some way to connect an antenna in my house so I can hear the station I love the most throughout my whole house as I used to. I HATE not being able to hear it wherever and whenever. I may have to get a set for my car and sleep in my automobile so I can listen as I want. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Oh, DUH! I’m such an idiot! I didn’t connect Blake Edwards with OUR Richard Diamond (as if there were any other?). I really enjoyed his work. He’ll be missed.

5. evnearl says:

We’re ready to settle in by the fireplace and listen to a good old-fashioned radio Christmas this week.

Well as of 11 AM on the 18th I will be off for the rest of the year. Bring on Christmas and Wall to Wall Christmas shows on OTR.I put a speaker out in front of my House on Christmas eve and let the Christmas shows play until Midnight.If anyone wants to se how I decorated my home check out the link.

Merry Christmas Greg and to all my OTR friends.

HO HO HO

Nice video….thanks for sharing

• Bill says:

Thank You Michael. It took me 5 hours to do everything and at 53 I was hurting when it was done. I must admit I was nervious when I hit the switch. I had images of Clark W Griswald flipping the switch an “NOTHING”. I have to say I was proud when they all went on.

Merry Christmas

• MISSGBMOO says:

And a “Happy Ho-Ho” to you, too, Bill!

7. GregBell says:

Sad news today – Blake Edwards has died. He was 88.

While best known today for all of his film work as a writer/director, radio fans know him for penning episodes of Richard Diamond, Private Detective & The Lineup. Since next week is filled with all Christmas shows, I’ll be sure to have a special tribute for him during the final week of December.

At least all of the enjoyment he has given us with his shows will live forever.

Thanks Greg….

• evnearl says:

AND he married my favorite performer, Julie Andrews. I’ve grown accustomed to sound of his snappy dialogue on Richard Diamond.
      He was a very talented writer.

8. navywrslr says:

I think of all the roles Walter Tetley did,I like Julius on the Phil Harris show the best.

Morey Amsterdam will forever be Buddy from the Dick Van Dyke show…..

New to the channel….got to love it….

I am looking forward to hearing new Christmas episodes since I already heard the previous ones several times. Maybe that is another reason why some people object to the Christmas in July specials.

Greg -
    I was wondering / hoping if there was a Dr. Kildare Christmas show. I would have thought that one was created around the holiday season.

• Will says:

The Christmas shows this year have been great. I was thinking it would be nice for the week of New Years to have the 1st episode of every program. It would be great to hear how they started.