As usual, we begin with a reminder; you don’t have to wait until this posting to get the weekly schedule, it is usually available by Tuesday, just click below to see Full Story & Pictures and then this link; ShowSchedules

A very busy week as we celebrate Halloween in many traditional way as well as some different stuff this year.

We once again have Orson Welles as Dracula on The Mercury Theater On The Air’s debut episode from July of 1938. Supernatural Monsters (Classics Creeps) as The Weird Circle presents The Werewolf and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. Suspense’s Donovan’s Brain from 1948, the hour long version with John McIntire, Jeanette Nolan and Wally Maher.

Lots of Halloween Humor from Ozzie & Harriet, The Great Gildersleeve, Father Knows Best, The Life of Riley, Red Skelton, Fibber McGee & Molly, Jack Benny and more.

Debuting this year is Fletcher’s Frightening Feast - four scary episodes from scripts by renowned radio writer, Lucille Fletcher. We’ll play The Hitchhiker with Orson Welles; a “new” version of Sorry, Wrong Number with Agnes Moorehead; Night Man with Marsha Hunt and Bad Dreams with William Conrad, Jeanette Nolan and Elliott Lewis.

Additional horror stories from Lights Out, The Inner Sanctum Mysteries, Escape and The Hermit’s Cave.

In the non-Halloween category, we have a new to the channel Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar Marathon; a World Series based comedy block (Bob Hope Show with Dizzy Dean – Ray Milland in “It Happens Every Spring”); Rita Hayworth on Bergen & McCarthy; A Joan Banks Birthday Special; new ones from Our Miss Brooks, Philip Marlowe, Romance of the Ranchos; Big Town, Suspense, Meet The Meeks and more.

Then on Halloween Day this year Sunday October 31st – it is Alfred Hitchcock Radio from 6am ET until Midnight. Multiple radio versions of his films from our library plus comments from a number of special guests including Hitchcock’s granddaughter Mary Stone; film director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours); Radio Classics channel friends Peggy Webber (appeared in Hitch’s The Wrong Man) and screenwriter Derek Haas (3:10 to Yuma Remake, Wanted, The Double) and many more.

16 Responses to “Halloween Week – Oct 24th to Oct 31st Radio Classics”

1. rdrunner82 says:

I really enjoyed the “theme Sunday” of Hitchcock shows. Will there be any more? Any thought of “theme days” becoming a regular feature?

2. eboll says:

Well Folks we lost another radio actor, Lamont Johnson. I am sure Greg will do a tribute for him, at least I hope he will.

What a great voice too….it was very rich. I wish I sounded that good.

You bet! Look for it the week of November 7th.

“eboll”, thanks for letting everyone know about his passing.

3. Matthew says:

Wow! What a great YTJD marathon this week, one of the best I’ve heard. Many thanks for putting that one on Greg.

4. glmcg1 says:

Greg, are there local radio (am or fm) that broadcast old radio shows? Which ones are available in my area of Austin, TX?

There is my regular radio show! it’s on about 200 stations now. The link is on my website http://www.whenradiowas.com, once there just find a local station by selecting your state from the pulldown menu on the rightside of the page.

At Gildy’s 1939 Halloween party McGee discovers Gildy pays $85 for a suit. In today’s dollars, consumer price index adjusted, that’s $1310…a pricey suit.

Reminds me of the YTJD episode where he goes to Switzerland. He spends over a week there plus phone calls and telegrams and still only spends $1,700….

I don’t want to spend $85 today on clothing unless I can get 5 pair of pants and a dozen socks for the cost….

• Don says:

In the movie Wall Street (1987), Bud is proud of his new $1200 suit; his boss, Gordon Gecko, sticks a wad of money in Bud’s pocket and tells him to go get a good suit.

I have not worn a suit in 3 years and I don’t feel I’m missing much.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming…

• Bill says:

Unfortunatly I have to wear suits for my job. I can’t wait for the day when I don’t have to. I do get to dress down some days but putting on a tie makes me feel like Matt Dillion is about to give me a neck tie party LOL. I do get a $2,000 a year clothing allowance so I am able to buy some nice suits but I am a jeans and shirt type of guy

• Matt Pelc says:

I was listening to the Hitchhiker, easily my favorite Suspense episode, and the ghostly Orson Welles places a call from New Mexico to Brooklyn and a little over $3 got him maybe 2 minutes of phone time. I found myself wondering what $3 in 1942 would cost in 2010. That’s gotta be an expensive. I looked it up and it was just under $40 to place that call with 2010 dollars. Yikes!

6. mandymarie20 says:

This week looks fabulous! I look forward to Halloween episodes all year. Did Lucille Fletcher write anything bad? I adore all her radio plays (that I have heard, anyway).

So the October 31st tease is a look into the following week’s schedule?

The Orson Welles picture reminds of a kid on our block growing up….that same look made us leave him alone rather than tease him. That kid is probably a billionaire today….

I need to listen to all of the stuff I have recorded to make room on my mp3 player…

Wow…what a week….

• Lana says:

Wow. I have already planned what I will be recording. I guess I will have to record the whole day to catch Hitchcock Radio on 10/31/10.