If you haven’t grabbed the new schedule yet, you can get it here ShowSchedules.html

Hey folks, another busy week – first of all I’d like to help out my friend and big time Radio Classics listener, John Schneider (you know Bo Duke from Dukes of Hazzard, Jonathan Kent in Smallville, Jeffrey Sarkossian on the CW’s 90210.) John is the exec producer of a new series known as Crash Test which debuts on Spike TV on Tuesday April 27th beginning at 11pm ET and then at 11pm PT. What’s it about? CLICK HERE Sounds like something you’d like? Check it out.

Okay on Radio Classics; A radio version of “After The Thin Man”; Another Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar Marathon; Birthday specials for Lionel Barrymore and Eve Arden; multiple episodes of Dragnet, Gunsmoke, Philip Marlowe, Richard Diamond, Suspense, The Chase, etc.

36 Responses to “April 25th to May 1st Radio Classics Channel Shows”

Thank you, dear Greg, for the birthday tribute to Eve Arden. I recorded the Our Miss Brooks episodes you offered — all excellent indeed. Eve Arden was a terrific actress both on radio, on TV and in the movies. I’m glad she was nominated for an Oscar in “Mildred Pierce” — it’s one of my favorite movies of all time and I kow her part well. I liked her in that part — it’s like she was playing herself. I’m also glad she had a happy home life, raising 4 children and having a good husband in Brooks West. I also remember her in the TV show “The Mothers-in-Law.” It lasted only1 season but I loved it and she and Kaye Ballard were excellent together. Finally, I do remember her as Principal McGee in “Grease” and, to a lesser degree, “Grease 2″ (probably one of the worst sequels ever made — it was Michelle Pfeiffer’s first major part — I’ll bet she wishes she could eat that film).
    Greg – please take my next comment as kindly as I mean it. Even though I loved the episodes you aired to honor Eve Arden and her best-known show, could you please select 4 “new” ones for next year? Why do I ask? because you aired these 4 episodes last year. How do I know? Because I keep the schedules in a red loose-leaf notebook and I referred to it recently to see if you aired these episodes previously or if they were new episodes. I’ve recorded these 4 episodes today even though I had some slight trouble with my radio (the perverbial silences and interferences by local radio stations. Neither lasted very long, thankfully). By the way, was Philip Boynton stupid or seriously gun-shy???? Connie Brooks did everything short of strip in front of him and yet he never quite “got” it…. It makes for some great comedy and it’s a situation with which I can readily identify.

You can really appreciate the authenticity of Gunsmoke versus some of the other westerns like Hopalong Cassidy. Just listening to the sound of the gun shots in this week’s Cassidy episodes versus Gunsmoke is amazing….I love them both….!!!!!

• MISSGBMOO says:

“Gunsmoke” absolutely strove for reality. I believe Greg recounted a story where the cast and director were looking for sound authenticity. They went all over the place and fired all kinds of guns to get that special sound. They ended up finding it in Bill Conrad’s backyard!
      Your point is well-taken, Michael-NE — the realism of “Gunsmoke” is what makes it popular even now. If you read Jerry Nadler’s “Raised on Radio,” he has an excellent chapter on “Gunsmoke,” saying Doc performed abortions, Miss Kitty was a prostitute who Matt went “to see” occasionally, and, as Greg said today, the lines between good and evil were often blurred — nothing was black and white — and he’s right.
      Another show with a greater degree of realty than many westerns is “Have Gun Will Travel.” In this case, I think the TV show demonstrates this more than the radio show (sorry to criticize one of my radio idols, “Mr.” John Dehner). In one episode, titled “Comanche,” Paladin is seen weeping after he sees the slaughter that was Custer’s Last Stand and realizes a close friend was one of the victims. I’m almost sure this episode is on radio, too, but I don’t know how John Dehner could convey the look I saw on Richard Boone’s face in that scene. It’s really awesome. But to give Mr. D some credit — hsi performance in the episode titled “Winchester Quarantine” makes it one of my favorite radio episodes. And “HGWT” also dealt with sensitive issues such as racial prejudice, domestic violence, and even historical figures such as Custer, Pancho Villa and others. Excellent radio and TV.
      I think “Hopalong Cassidy,” like the Lone Ranger and the Roy Rogers show, are aimed primarily at children and so are designed to be black and white modern-day fables – morality tales, if you will. Children see the issue, learn the lesson of the issue and know what to do if they confront a similar situation. What do you think?

All,

I did find a Dragnet episode guide. There looks to be almost 300 of them but some episodes are not listed. I sent Greg a copy of the Microsoft Excel sheet with what I found.

YTJD The Todd Matter: I think the landlady and the dying Gloria sound like Bernadine Flynn, aka Sade Gook.

Test results on the new XMp3i XM Radio/MP3 player.

I got everythin setup and activated last night. I managed to record about 6 hours of XM164.

I used it in the car this morning to listen to Diamond, Box 13 and Hopaolong Cassidy. I did mess up the start times and miss Boston Blackie but I’ll catch him later.

I have never owned an MP3 player so the rotating dial took a while to master. It does come with a remote so that makes it easier. Recording is a breeze and the playback quality is excellent.

So far it is a 5-star purchase…..it came with the home kit and all of the cords and cables.

The screen will also show you everything recorded during the time span including which commercial, by name, at the end of an episode.

Is there an episode in which Philip Marlowe DOES NOT get hit on the head? What a noggin the guy has!

Greg – How wouod you like to do a real service to your listeners? Besides the usual T-shirts, stickers, etc. — I think you should write a book. I’m serious! You are a fascinating person. You’re younger than I (I’m 56) — you had to have been born in the 1960s, well past the days of OTR. Yet you love it, it’s your career and you’re good at it. The reason I mention it is because I think it would be fascinating to learn why you got into this, how you do the research, the people from OTR you’ve met, who your favorite stars and what your favorite shows are, what the future is for OTR, etc. I say this because I think there’s a real story there. Remember, I worked in the newspaper business for 31 years so I know a good story when I hear, see or read about it.
    Oh, and I loved the “murder” episode of Jack Benny. AND THANK YOU FOR BRINGING BACK EPISODES FEATURING CARMICHAEL! He’s so funny! And Rochester’s mortal fear of the bear is incredibly funny.

Don – thanks for tip on dr. Krauthammer’s column on the Nats. My cousin, Fran, who lives in Dumfries, Va., loves the Nats. And I love Charles Krauthammer. Do you watch him on Fox News at 6 PM M-F? He’s on the panel part of the show.
    I live in New Jersey. My father is a DIE-HARD Yankees fan. Guess who I root for? But I also have a soft spot in my heart for the Pirates because of one of that team’s greatest players — Willie Stargell. I loved Willie!

9. Matt Pelc says:

Don, Woo Hoo go Tigers! Though they continued their head scratching season by losing to the woeful Rangers last night.

Miss G.

If you can afford a radio that records, go for it. It is great because you can listen to your favorites in its entirety at your convenience.

Michael:
    Ten hours is what I get out of my Inno. A hundred hours would be beyond wonderful. Let me know how you are enjoying it, and if it is easy to record multiple things at the same time. You peaked my curiosity.

It is at the house waiting for me to come home tonight. I’ll be trying it next week when the new schedule hits….

I’ll let everyone know. You can read about it at the XM website under shop radios..

Richard Crenna was an actor I lerarned to greatly admire over the years. The depth of his humanity is revealed in my memory of a Christmas:

“When I was growing up, a typical Christmas morning was spent quietly having breakfast with my parents in a local restaurant. Resting on the table would be the gift my folks had just presented me after the waitress took our order. Of course I was happy, but it wasn’t like racing downstairs in your own house in the morning to find a present under the tree.

We always ate out because we lived in the Stephens, a hotel in downtown Los Angeles. The seventy-two room residential hotel was owned by my parents. It was during the Depression, and Mother managed it to supplement Dad’s income as a pharmacist.

Growing up in the city had its benefits. I loved riding streetcars, took my First Communion at nearby Precious Blood Church, and attended a local school with Asian, Latino, and black kids. Though I was a minority in that part of town, we kids were never aware of differences; we were friends. All in all, I considered myself privileged.

But Christmas in a hotel always had a downside for me. I never had a real family Christmas. Friends told me of houses fragrant with roasting turkey and of relatives gathering around the tree in the living room. Since Mom, Dad, and I lived in only two rooms, our tree always went up in the hotel lobby. So I never had anything to brag about. With me it was always, “Here come Christmas again, and I’ve got to go down to all those sad-eyed people in the lobby.” For the Stephens was full of unfortunates who spent Christmas alone.

Some were characters straight from Damon Ruynon stories – gamblers, con men, bookies, and former jockeys. Others were right out of Ripley’s “Believe It or Not!” Like the Most-Tattooed Man, who was our night clerk. His real name was Ted Rockwell and his body was covered with tattoos of his name in every language, as well as in Chinese pictographs, Morse code, and signal flags.

Then there was the World’s Greatest Thief, who, it was said, had walked out the front door of Abercrombie & Fitch in New York City with a canoe, and then went back the next day for the paddles. An elderly silver-hared man, he had already paid his debt to society. Our femme fatale, Mae Taylor, who had lived at the Stephens for more than 20 years, fancied herself a movie star. Then there was Tumbleweed, who looked just like his name when he came down the street after a night out. He bounced from side to side off buildings before rolling his way into the hotel. One night while we were all sitting in the lobby, somebody dropped him inside the door saying, “I think this belongs to you.”

Mom helped him to his room and tucked him into bed. She was a mother figure to all our seventy-two guests, though she made sure none of the bookies or gamblers plied their trade in the hotel. The only time I saw her angry was the night a lady checked in and within fifteen minutes had hung a red lightbulb over her transom. Mother put her out immediately.

In my young mind I disdained these people as has-beens and losers. And I often took advantage of their foibles. The Germ Man had a phobia about bacteria and always wore a facemask. When meeting him on the stairs, I’d take great delight in sneezing as loudly as I could and as many times as possible. He’d bolt madly for his room, and Mother would scold me for my unkind behavior.

Watching this strange assortment of people, I believe, actually started me on my acting career. I used to mimic the things they did, especially the drunks. At an early age I could fall down a flight of stairs without hurting myself. I must have rolled into the Stephen’s lobby a thousand times.

It was only natural for me to take drama in Virgil Junior High. The CBS and NBC radio studios were nearby, and a friend and I fished through their garbage bins for discarded scripts. We used them to stage our own plays, adding some imaginative sound effects.

One day while we played football on the playground our drama teacher came out and said, “Boys, they’re auditioning for a new radio program at station KFI. I want you all to try out. It will be a good experience.

Dirty and sweaty, we traipsed over to KFI to audition for a program called “Boy Scout Jamboree.” It was a comedy about a troop of nine Scouts who did everything wrong. A group of us were hired for twenty-five cents a Saturday show, and I ended up staying on the program for a number of years. I played Herman, a prototype of all the other goofy, adenoidal adolescent kids I later portrayed on “The Great Gildersleeve,” “The Hardy Family,” and “One Man’s Family.” This led to my being considered for the role of Henry Aldrich on “The Aldrich Family” radio series. Another actor, Dickie Jones, and I were asked to go to New York City to audition in January, 1942. AS a sixteen-year—old I was thrilled to be going all the way across the country, even though I knew only one of us would get the part.

But I wasn’t expecting what happened that Christmas Eve. Mother and Dad ushered me into the pine-scented lobby, where I saw all the residents gathered around the tree. The hand-cranked Victrola was screeching out Christmas carols.

It was a surprise Christmas celebration and going-away party for me. I was stunned. Each resident had a gift for me. I had no idea that they actually cared. Mae Taylor presented me with monogrammed handkerchiefs in a fancy box. Tumbleweed, cold sober for a change, handed me a pocketknife with all kinds of built-in tools. The World’s Greatest Thief, his sky-blue eyes shining, gestured to the floor. There sat an expensive set of matched Hartmann leather luggage.

“When you get to New York, Dick,” he said, “You’ve got to look successful.” I glanced at Mom apprehensively. But she smiled and pointed to the zippered canvas covers with my name stitched on them. The World’s Greatest Thief had purchased this luggage – for me.

Even the Germ Man and the drunks I had relentlessly mimicked offered me their congratulations. I remembered my old priest saying that if you “bless those who curse you… you shall be children of the Most High” (Luke 6:28-35). I hadn’t actually cursed any of these people, but I certainly had made fun of them. And now they were paying me back with kindness and encouragement. Sad-eyed people in the lobby? Well, here I was, misty-eyed at their loving support. It was now clear: the men and woman I had once written off as has-beens and weirdoes were instead children of the Most High.

For the first time, I began to see that people are equal. And I understood Mother’s compassion for former thieves, gamblers and bookies: you love people for what they are, not for what you wish them to be.

Soon I was on the train toward New York with my father, who had taken time off to chaperone me. A fellow passenger finished exclaiming about his own holiday, then turned to me. “And how about you?” he said.

I leaned back and smiled. “It was my best Christmas ever,” I said. “I spent it with …my family.”

(Sorry, but I don’t remember the source of this, but I’ve kept it in the file. Don)

Wow, thanks Don!

Next time I feature Richard Crenna, I’ll have to share some of that with the listeners.

Greg.

• Don says:

Greg, Glad to share this with everyone. I don’t recall where I found it a few years ago but kept a copy of it in my OTR file. Sounds like an O. Henry story, doesn’t it?

• MISSGBMOO says:

I, usually of many words, have been rendered speechless. After “Dick” died of pancreatic cancer, I donated some $$ in his memory to the PanCAN (Pancreatic Cancer Action Network). I don’t know or care if his family knows it but it was the least I could do for someone who had given me so many hours of pleasure both on TV and radio.
        Thank you, Don, for sharing this marvelous story.

• MISSGBMOO says:

I’m wondering if there is a biography of the late, GREAT Richard Crenna anywhere. There certainly should be — he was an incredibl versatile actor. From “Our Miss Brooks” – in which he portrayed a 15-year-old boy when he actually was a 26-year-old man, to TV shows such as “the Real McCoys” (which I never liked) to movies such as “Rambo,” “Body Heat” (he was great) and the ship’s captain in “The Sand Pebbles” — what a terrific, varied career he had!
      If there is no biography out on him, I wouldn’t be surprised – there is no biography on another truly GREAT actor, Frederic March, nor are there biographies on William Conrad or John Dehner. I am happy to say, however, there are bios on Orson, Agnes Moorehead and another great actor, Zachary Scott (of “Mildred Pierce” fame)

You have an XM radio that allows you to RECORD? That is absolutely cool – I need something like that. I still use cassettes – my car is 15 years old and has a cassette deck. And with problems I’ve had with reception, I haven’t been able to record. Dad may get a new receiver – one that costs more than $1.99, I hope… seriously, I want to be able to record.
    Thanks, Greg, for the Our Miss Brooks episodes to honor Eve Arden. Thanks also for aering “Gunsmoke: Tara” this week and also, “Vial of Death” and “A Thing of Beauty” on “Suspense.” Next week does look particularly good.
    Hey, Gang – I was watching “Cheyenne” and guess who was on? Peggy Webber! How cool is that? She is so terrific!

We love Peggy Webber here! She currently is producing the Norman Corwin 100th birthday party being held on Saturday May 1st in Beverly Hills. It’s at the Writer’s Guild of America Theater and features an all star lineup. The details are on her radio theater company website

Greg.

• MISSGBMOO says:

You read my mind, Greg! I was going to ask you for a way to communicate with Miss Webber and now I have it. Thank you so much! (I think I mentioned to you yesterday she was on an episode of “Cheyenne.”)

Greg,

Do you have a master list of episodes you have played for shows like Dragnet, Gunsmoke and others that had long runs?

14. NedFlexer says:

Any possibilities of Sargeant Preston of the Yukon and Sky King, two of my favorites.

It says I can record 5 channels simultaneously and up to 100 hours of recorded material. It also uses 2-gb micro SD cards (already have a card) so who knows. It also has an on screen program guide. Lookup XMp3i and it will give the specs.

My should be waiting at home tomorrow.

• MISSGBMOO says:

I don’t know why Greg hasn’t aired more “Sky King” but I know Sergeant Preston is in the same class as “The Lone Ranger.” Greg used to air both these marvelous shows but then the estate of the Long Ranger (which also owns Sgt. Preston) told the radio station it could o longer air those 2 shows so Greg hasn’t been able to do that. But if you go on http://www.radiospirits.com, you’ll be able to purchase a ton of CDs (or even cassettes) of thes 2 marvelous shows.

Michael,

I’m with you. There are a lot of great shows for next week. The Thin man is a good show. I saw some episodes on TV which got me hooked. I am not a late night owl either and I never get back to what I recorded on my DVR. I do catch up on my Radio Classics episodes every week. Maybe that is why I don’t have time for TV.

I am curious about your XM radio. Is it portable, how many hours can you record etc…..

• MISSGBMOO says:

I’m looking forward to the Our Miss Brooks marathon. It’s one of my favorite shows and even though Greg aired these episodes at this time last year, to celebrate Eve Arden’s birthday, they are good episodes and are very, very funny. By the way, Greg – if you ever get a chance, can you air the episode titled “Peanuts”? It’s about Miss Brooks taking care of a Great Dane. It’s hysterical.
      I’m also looking forward to “Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar: The Todd Matter.” That’s a great, great episode.
      By the way, if you get a chance, listen to this week’s (4/18-4/24) “Gangbusters”: It stars Ralph Bell. Greg mentioned Ralph the other day. Ralph was a staple on “CBS Radio Mystery Theatre.”

Great schedule this week….many of my favorites and now I can record them thanks to my new XM radio.

I wish some of the new shows (John Schneider’s show) on TV could be a little earlier. I’m fast asleep by 10:30pm. Yes I have a DVR but I never seem to have the time to catch up with that either.

Michael,

With my work schedule and bedtme pretty much everything the wife and I watch has been recorded. We sometimes are weeks behind the original airdate of a specific TV show.

Greg.

This is what I am afraid of when I start recording with my new XM radio.

Locally….the Pirates got FRIED yesterday…20 to zip

• Don says:

Michael, I also look forward to your review. Now that baseball is here I listen to the Angels games…they fell to the Tigers last night in the 9th, but not as bad as the Pirates. I’m in the ET time zone so those west coast games keep me up late at night. When I lived in Pittsburgh in the 80s I went to Pirates games and saw the great Willie Stargell play.

Baseball fans will enjoy today’s column by Charles Krauthammer on the joys of being a Nationals fan.